In recognition of National Breastfeeding Month in August, Great River Health
Systems is sponsoring a walk to raise awareness about the importance of
The walk is scheduled from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 13, around Great
River Health Systems’ lake. It will include:
- Information about services for women and infants
- Dunk tank, three balls for $2
- Door-prize drawing, 10:45 a.m.
- Free refreshments
Participants who aren’t already registered are encouraged to pay
the $5 registration fee at the walk. Proceeds will be used to purchase
donor milk from Mother’s Milk Bank of Iowa. Donor milk is used at
Great River Medical Center by newborns with special needs and those who
need supplemental milk while their mothers are breastfeeding.
Some benefits of breastfeeding are:
- Breastfed babies are less likely to develop asthma.
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of sudden infant death syndrome.
- Children who are breastfed for six months are less likely to become obese.
- Breastfeeding protects babies from illnesses including diarrhea, ear infections
- Mothers who breastfeed have a decreased risk of breast and ovarian cancers.