Great River Medical Center will add greater visitor restrictions Friday,
March 27, in an effort to prevent or contain COVID-19 (coronavirus) transmission
in southeast Iowa.
Screening for respiratory symptoms, recent travel and body temperature
Outpatients at the hospital for clinic, Diagnostic Imaging and Laboratory
appointments, and Emergency Department care may not be accompanied by
- Patients under 18 may have one visitor who is a parent or guardian.
- Patients having surgery or procedures may have one visitor on the day of
surgery or the procedure only.
- Patients requiring special assistance may have one visitor or guardian.
- Emergency Department:
- Visitors may be allowed based on the patient’s clinical situation.
- Patients at end of life where death is imminent may have two visitors.
Visiting is allowed only in designated areas. No visiting is allowed in
- Behavioral Health Unit
- Cardiovascular Care Unit
- Intensive Care Unit
- Medical Care Unit
- Medical-Surgical Unit
- Progressive Cardiac Unit
- Rehabilitation Unit
In other areas, patients are limited to the same visitors for the entire
time they are hospitalized. They must stay in the patient’s room
or designated visitor area. Visitors must be at least 18 years old (unless
they are the parents of a pediatric patient). They must pass a screening
before visiting these areas:
- End of life when death is imminent – Patients may have two visitors.
- Obstetrics Unit – Only the mother’s designated support person
may visit unless the mother has a suspected or positive COVID-19 diagnosis.
- Nursery and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit – One birth parent plus
one significant other may visit.
- Pediatrics Unit /patients under 18 – One parent or guardian may visit.
Specific circumstances may further restrict visiting.
Families of the patients described below should discuss visiting options
with the patient’s health care team.
- Patients with disruptive behavior whose family member is key to their care
may have one visitor.
- Patients who have altered mental status or developmental delays who require
a caregiver to help provide safety may have one visitor.
All potential visitors and outpatients are screened before entering the
hospital through these locations:
- Main entrance – 5:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily
- Emergency Department entrance – 24 hours a day
- Eastman Plaza – 6:45 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Cancer Care Plaza – 6:45 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
All other entrances are closed.
Where to go for more information
- For more information, visit greatriverhealth.org
- Great River Health 24-hour Call Center, 319-768-1009 or 800-871-3313, toll-free
- For COVID-19 questions, call the Iowa Department of Public Health by dialing 211.