West Burlington, Iowa, March 22, 2020 – Great River Health will add
greater visitor restrictions Monday, March 23, in an effort to prevent
or contain COVID-19 (coronavirus) transmission in southeast Iowa.
Great River Medical Center and Fort Madison Community Hospital, which also
is part of Great River Health, are announcing changes separately.
At Great River Medical Center, visiting is allowed only in designated areas.
No visiting is allowed in these areas:
- Behavioral Health Unit
- Cardiovascular Care Unit
- Intensive Care Unit
- Medical Care Unit
- Medical-Surgical Unit
- Progressive Cardiac Unit
- Rehabilitation Unit
In other areas, patients are limited to the same visitors for the entire
time they are hospitalized. They must stay in the patient’s room
or designated visitor area. Visitors must be at least 18 years old (unless
they are the parents of a pediatric patient). They must pass a screening
before visiting these areas:
- Emergency Department – One adult may be with the patient during treatment.
- End of life when death is imminent – Patients may have two visitors.
- Obstetrics Unit – Only the mother’s designated support person
- Nursery and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit – One birth parent plus
one significant other may visit.
- Pediatrics Unit /patients under 18 – One parent or guardian may visit.
- Patients having surgery or procedures – One visitor on the day of
surgery or the procedure only
- Clinic, laboratory or Diagnostic Imaging appointments – One person
may accompany the patient.
Families of the patients described below should work with the patient’s
health care team.
- Patients with disruptive behavior whose family member is key to their care
may have one visitor.
- Patients who have altered mental status or developmental delays who require
a caregiver to help provide safety may have one visitor.
Visitors will be asked about the presence of respiratory symptoms and recent
travel, and their temperatures will be taken.
When visitors pass their first screening, they will receive a wristband
to wear the entire time the patient they are visiting is hospitalized.
Visitors with wristbands must be screened daily.
All potential visitors and outpatients are screened before entering the
hospital through these locations:
- Main entrance – 5:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily
- Emergency Department entrance – 24 hours a day
- Eastman Plaza – 6:45 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Cancer Care Plaza – 6:45 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
All other entrances are closed.
Where to go for more information
- For more information, visit greatriverhealth.org
- For COVID-19 questions, call the Iowa Department of Public Health by dialing 211.